Monday, November 29, 2010

Oh shut up

To the person who made the post on Craigslist that it was lame for people to be selling Monster High dolls at an inflated price when they are NOT sold out and are indeed available online and in stores I say this:

I was able to pick up a few Monster High dolls at the grocery store that has a significant toy department at the holidays.  I've listed them on Ebay for more than I paid for them.  There are some of us who could use a little extra cash this month. If there are people in the world who are willing to pay more than the retail price for these toys and I have a chance to sell them what they want, I'm going to do that.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to buy a few more this week, if I can, and hang onto them until the 15th when I will put them up on a three day auction. 

If the word gets out that these silly dollies are THE thing to have, parents are going to run around trying to find one.  The fact that they are sold out the day they're at the store will send them into a panic.  OH my god!  My child won't have the toy everyone else has!  I'll have to admit I couldn't get one!  Shit!  Ebay!  I'll look on Ebay! Sixty dollars?  I'll pay that!  Over night that sucker! 

Who decides what toys are hot?  I understand there is a group of wealthy teenagers in Manhattan that most trends can be traced back to and they usually picked those things up in other countries, generally Japan. 

But American made and marketed toys, who makes the call?  Is there a group of moms that put their heads together and then all blog about the new version of the Bratz dolls? 

That's what these are, Bratz redesigned.  And, I freely admit that I love them along with my daughter.  I'm getting her a couple because I want to play with them. If these had been around when I was in high school I'd have every one and take them places with me. 

Is it just the fact that someone saw the shelf where these live empty and, not realizing they'd been moved to a different part of the store, decided these toys must be in big demand and they needed one too? 

Do kids just like the way these look because of the heavy marketing and the combination of the nag factor and the fact that these things are pretty damn cool is making them sell? 

Whatever the reason, I'm willing to be one of the persons that makes a little money on these.  New in the box, mint in the box, never been opened, hot, must-have, sold-out in stores, expidited shipping available are all phrases being used for the scary teens. 

I know exactly what I'm getting for my children this holiday, gifts they'll love and will fit easily within our budget.  If I hadn't been able to find a Monster High doll, I would have sighed, been disappointed and found something else for the kids. 

But, for the first time I'm in a position to make a little money selling the hot toy this season.  It'll lower our stress level and make this month a little easier should I sell them.  If not, no biggie, I'll give them to Zoe or give them as birthday gifts.

And I would like to point out to the poster who finds it offensive, I notice you don't say where the Monster teens are available, you just say it's lame to inflate the price. 

Then give me a crutch because I'm limping.

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  Be sure to curl your lashes before you apply mascara. 

No comments: