Thursday, November 25, 2010

My best part of today

Today is Thanksgiving in the United States, a day of being grateful for all we have by stuffing ourselves silly with carbohydrates and fats before having pie.  It's great!  It's a great day.

Especially for us, as we've been able to enjoy a low-key, not labor intensive holiday for the last couple of years.  Last year, we had to cancel our trip to visit family at the last minute due to finances not cooperating so we packed up our feast and took it to the park.  I thought we'd be quite alone, but we were one among many families having their meal outdoors.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect and we had a great time.

This year, the weather isn't cooperating with picnic plans, so we'll be spending the day with friends and their children.  We're all preparing part of the meal, the way it's done in my family.  It'll be a casual, fun gathering, I'm sure we'll laugh a lot.

The men involved aren't big sports guys, so there won't be any of them sitting on the couch with their hands in the top of their pants discussing the game while the women do dishes, but I'm sure there will be certain amount of groaning about eating too much.

My favorite Thanksgiving tradition is the Sandwich.  That's not a typo, I don't mean sandwich, I mean Sandwich.

The Sandwich is the best part.  I say that I eat Thanksgiving dinner in order to get to the Sandwich.

Everyone has their own Sandwich formula that has been developed over years of trial and error.  Mine is as follows:

-On a large slice of multigrain bread spread a nice layer of mayonnaise, top with a slice of sharp cheddar.

-On top of the cheddar, lay a not-too-thick slice of white turkey, followed by a little dressing/stuffing.

-On another large slice of multigrain bread spread a generous layer of cranberry sauce.  Scott prefers the canned cranberry sauce is great because it can be sliced, making for a neater Sandwich.

-Now squish the Sandwich together.  I find that the squish is one of the most important aspects.  If the squish isn't just right, your Sandwich falls apart or the bread gets smooshed and everything you've so carefully arranged shoots out.

-Eat and repeat!  Follow with pie, if you have any.

And now, I will go about my day of whipping cream, casserolling green beans and looking forward to my Sandwich.

Happy Thanksgiving! Eat pie!

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  If you put a product on your face and it burns or even tingles a little?  Don't use it anymore!  What it's doing is causing irritation.

No comments: