Friday, November 12, 2010

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.......

Yesterday, the volunteer driving I had scheduled was cancelled.  Will was going to be in preschool from 9-2, leaving me at loose ends from 8:45 to 1:45.

Oh, the endless possibilities!  I could get all the laundry put away!  I could drive downtown and take photos!  I could get started on the dress I cut out but haven't stitched!

What did I opt for?  Nothing.  I opted to do nothing.  Well, that's not totally true, I spent an hour doing my morning routine as per Fly Lady (www.flylady.com).

Then I got settled in, Just Wright in the DVD player, laptop, coffee, food, pajamas, feet up and ready to do nothing.

Nothing but watch Queen Latifa be funny and sexy, nothing but play Farmville and Frontierville, nothing but drink my coffee and tell the dogs to get off the couch.

Nothing is an amazing luxury for me, since my life is so filled with somethings like Girls Scouts, lunches, laundry and errands.

But not yesterday morning, yesterday morning I got to have some nothing.  I sometimes forget what it's like to have nothing to do.  It reminds me of when I was hugely pregnant and could barely walk to to the fridge, let alone pick up a laundry basket, besides, I wasn't allowed to carry the laundry downstairs because Scott told me I couldn't do that anymore.

I spent a lot of time reading, slowly getting baby things ready and updating my online journal.

I once saw the Barbara Walters interview with Walter Matthau  and his wife Carol Marcus, where Carol said she liked to do nothing.  She gardened and did crossword puzzles, but it was all part of doing, just, nothing.  I was astounded at that statement, to have a lifestyle where doing nothing was a possibility.  Of course, on one of her crossword puzzles, there was a three letter word meaning "beverage" where she wrote "7-Up", but still, she did nothing all day.

And that's what I did for a while yesterday.  Of course, I got bored after a while and got another batch of stuff done, but the break was outrageously pleasant.

I hope I get another nothing day soon.

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  The colder weather requires more moisture to your skin, especially your lips, switch to a somewhat more emollient lip treatment, petroleum jelly can fill this role.

No comments: