Friday, August 8, 2014

My new, favorite, guilty pleasure

When The Husband and I went to the 80's sing-a-long dance party at the Alamo Drafthouse for my birthday we were enjoying the pre-show entertainment up on the big screen when what appeared to be a home video popped up.  It was an older, blond woman talking about a show called "Stairway to Stardom" and giving information on how to contact them so you could appear!  She was wearing a shiny, purple t-shirt with iron on lettering so I was guessing it was the 1980s when this was happening.

Then, they played a couple of clips.  I was hooked!  I went home, looked the show up and they have a YouTube channel!  Stairway to Stardom was a public access show in New York City that aired from 1979 to the early 1990s.  The general public was invited to book themselves on the show.  The results were, well, about what you would expect.  Somewhat like The Gong Show only without the gong, without the nice set and with a host that tells everyone they were fantastic.  A Gong Show that had the goal of building up the self-confidence of the performers. 

And a drummer in his 60s that had the expression of a man who just wants this all to be over on his face all the time.  If you decide to give these a whirl, keep an eye on this dude.  It's one of the greatest displays of non-verbal communication I've ever seen and what he's saying is "Kill me please."

This is my new favorite time waster.  I watch the stars of tomorrow today and play Facebook games because I like to live on the edge.

Check it out here! 

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  Walking in the sand is a great way to get soft feetsies. 

No comments: