Saturday, March 26, 2011

Summer has arrived at Case de 'burbs

Summer has arrived at my house.  How do I know?  The fact that the temperatures have climbed into the 80's and will most likely crack 90 today is only part of it. 

I know, because yesterday I made a gallon of Kool-aid.  Well, not Kool-aid, the store brand mix that costs a dime for one package and I add my own sugar.  It will be just the first of scores of pitchers full of sweet punch served to the kids that will come over to our place in the coming months.  Yesterday, I had an additional four kids over to play in the backyard with the hose.  Hence, the gallon of punch. 

I know it's officially summer because today I bought a new inflatable pool.  It's the same pool we've had every summer for the last three years.  Three inflated rings stuck together to make a 70 inch by 102 inch rectangle.  We get one every year and at the end of every summer we'll throw it away.  Scott and I will sit in it with the kids on the weekends, drinking beers and splashing. 

I know, because Bluebonnet flowers are blooming and families are out in droves to pose their children in the blooms.  The most popular place to do this is on the embankments next to the highway, which are kept landscaped in native plants, a legacy of Lady Bird Johnson. 

I know because we are starting to receive fliers from school about summer day camps, summer sleep away camps, summer child care that combines babysitting with learning and swimming.  Soon, forms for the next school year will be arriving to be filled out.

I know because the hum of air conditioners is filling the air and teenagers have made their appearances with lawn mowers in fits of entrepreneurial ambition. 

I know because stores are now stocking fans, room air conditioners and beverage tubs.  Bar-b-ques and grills are taking up more space  in the front of home improvement stores than ever. More soda is being stocked with sale prices attached and meats have dipped in price.  Sunscreen is now in a prominent location near the seasonal items with bonus packs being offered.

It's summer, it's only a matter of time until the kids are off school and will be at loose ends all day, begging for Kool-aid and trips to the pool and watermelon. 

That's fine by me.  Bring it on. 

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  Now that you'll probably be spending more time outside, make sure you apply sunscreen.  If you're skin is prone to breakouts, there are lots of foundations that include SPFs of 15 or more.  Don't forget the back of your neck and the tops of your ears.

No comments: