Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trashy looking but responsible

It's hot as blazes here in Central Texas.  We have been experiencing triple digit heat for weeks.  It shrivels up every plant living outside that doesn't have the benefit of shade.  This means that missing the window to plant our garden was a blessing in disguise.  It would have all died if we hadn't been diligent with watering and with the kids and I gone for three weeks, that probably would have happened.

One of the results of all this heat is that lawns require a whole bunch of watering in order to keep them green, which we aren't doing.  Our backyard has gone totally dry, beyond brown to yellow.  When I do dog poop patrol the grass just comes up with the slightest tug. It's just broken off from the roots.

Even the ground is so dry it doesn't want to even absorb any water.  It depresses me every time I look out the back door.  Our yard is all crabgrass and weeds anyway, we're not going to even attempt to grown anything else until the kids are older.  We have two dogs, two kids and lots of kid visitors, it would be an exercise in futility to attempt a well-kept lawn in  our backyard.

But, having grown up in suburban America I'm used to having a lush and plush lawn out front and back.  It shows pride of ownership and a desire to keep up the curb appeal.

 75% of Texas is experiencing exceptional drought conditions, the most severe of five categories.  With a water shortage, it's just irresponsible to use potable water to keep the grass green, no matter how much it drives me crazy to look at it.

Austin is a pretty earth-aware town, lots of front yards are dry and brown.  But in this case it shows a concern for the environment and not a lack of care for the neighborhood appearance or foreclosures.  (In the case of foreclosures, the listing agents will often water the yard) We're not the only ones with crispy yards.  Many of our neighbors aren't watering.  The ones who are watering are out twice a day with their hoses or running their sprinklers a long time in the evening.

I finally couldn't take it anymore two days ago and turned the hose on the yard. That's when I found out the ground didn't even want to soak anything in.  It all ran down the yard in a little river right into my neighbor's backyard.  I gave up.  I turned off the hose and sighed in a resigned manner.

Then fall will come along, our front yard will turn green and our backyard will turn into our own personal meadow.  I'm looking forward to having things green again.  But for now, I have to just clench my teeth and tell myself I'm doing right by not using drinking water to keep a non-indigenous ground cover alive for the sake of appearances.

It's the right thing to do.  It's the right thing to do.  It's the right thing to do.  It's the right thing to do.

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:   When it's hot, be sure and drink your water.  You can't have a nice appearance if you're dehydrated, it wreaks havoc on your bod.

1 comment:

Petra said...

See if we had a house I would totally take that and run with it I would make little pebble paths and a little succulent topiary with all kinds of austin indigenous plants and do a sitting area with a big umbrella for the evening. It's hot now but it won't be hot forever. lawn gnomes! I think there are things you can do that are not having a normal lawn. I heard the whole lawn pride thing, but normal lawns just seem so boring to me.

2 cents
petra