Friday, January 7, 2011

Will has a new skateboard.

My kids each got money and a gift card to Target for Christmas.  They get very excited about choosing whatever they like inside of their price range.

Zoe makes careful decisions, figuring out what she can get for the money she has.  She'll pick things up, put things back, think about saving up for something and she is always happy.

Will, being four, just sees things and says he wants them, suggesting he look at something else is a very, very bad idea.  These trips generally end with him having a melt-down and having to be taken outside.  Once we get home he's pleased with his new stuff and I know the process will become calmer as he gets older.

One thing he was positive about getting was a skateboard.  He's been wanting one for a long time, so when  we found one that's the right size and a helmet for his head we gave him the thumbs up!

He just needs to learn to ride it.  And neither of his parents can help him with this because neither of us can skateboard.  I really can't.  I don't even know what to tell him in regards to which foot to put on the board and which to use to push.

All I know to tell him is to wear his helmet and don't go in front of cars.

The poor kid walks around with his skateboard with Lightning McQueen on the bottom asking for advice and we have none to give him.

What I need, is my friend's son Tom to fly out here and give Will lessons.  But since Tom has a job, an apartment and a girlfriend I don't think that's going to be an option.

For right now, our son is going to have to keep scooting with his butt on the board or going down the sidewalk on his tummy.  These are two things the police officers who visited my elementary school way back when told us NOT to do, but he can't do anything else, so I'm going to let him.  Besides, I'm always out with him as are the many other kids in the neighborhood who all watch out for each other.

If anyone has any pointers, I'd gladly accept them.

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  If you are having your teeth whitened, a blue-ish shade indicates damage and shouldn't be your goal!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I would suggest youtube! I am sure there are how to skateboard videos there, there's everything else.

Gnomedude said...

http://austinskateboardingclub.com

Im looking into the possibility of a gift certificat for a beginner lesson.
Look at the site and see if it is something you could work with

Kirsten said...

OMG I would LOVE to help Will skateboard! I love it. I have a longboard myself and Turner is just at the size he can't ride it with me anymore. He likes to lay on the board and I stand between his legs and towards the back. I KNOW my kids will have a skateboard one day. Bailey has already figure out how to stand on it and ride down the driveway into the garage.

I tell her. Have your batting stance on the board (she is really into baseball too, as am I) The hardest thing she has is getting off the board without it flying out from under her. I have told her to keep her stance and slowly remove one foot to the ground while she keeps her head in one spot (which keeps her torso from moving to much). Its much easier to show but Emily is right. look up on youtube Skateboarding for dummies or something.

Good Luck Will! :D