Sunday, September 21, 2014

This made me feel better about something that happed earlier this year

We had to give one of our dogs away earlier this year.  You can read about the situation here.

Occasionally, I go to the website of the rescue group we surrendered him to, just to see if he'd found a new home.

For three months, he was still listed as 'available'.  However, the photos showed him in a home, which meant he was being fostered in a house with a family instead of in the shelter kennel.  The description of him stated that he was good with kids, but not so good with cats or other dogs.  They said he loved cuddles and tummy rubs, he knew how to sit and shake. 

Really, he was a pretty good dog on his own and we loved him to bits.  But, his aggressive behavior made it the right choice for us to help him find another home where he'd be happier.

Zoe was heartbroken when Gibson had to leave our home.  She cried at school the day I surrendered him.  She was in her orchestra class when she started to cry.  I emailed her teacher to let him know the situation at home.  He replied that he had been planning to get in touch with me about it.  I told him I was very grateful that he was looking out for my daughter, an extra pair of eyes to let me know if there was anything going on I may not know about.

Today, I decided to check and see if Gibson had found a home.  I did a search for available dogs.

He wasn't there.

This meant he'd been adopted!  The relief I felt was extraordinary. 

It was the right thing for us to do.  But I'm so, so glad he's found a new home where he is hopefully the only dog to be fussed over.

Amanda's household tip of the day:  You can make your own fabric refreshing spray by mixing water in a spray bottle with 2 tablespoons of fabric softener and 2 tablespoons of baking soda.  You'll want to shake this up before you use it. 

No comments: