Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Something I look forward to every year

Every Christmas my grandfather sends me a check.  I've always gotten money from him for Christmas.  Before my grandmother died the checks were signed by her.  (The Christmas after she passed away, we all received the gifts she'd already bought and wrapped.  She'd also written out our gift checks so it was signed by her.  There was much crying.)

And this year, as I do every year, I squandered it.  I figure that's what Christmas money is for, squandering.

As I've discussed before, I'm a sucker for gadgets.  I'm especially fond of grooming gadgets.  A while ago I saw a gadget in the supermarket made by Olay that is essentially a motorized brush that is used to exfoliate one's face. Check it out here I will embrace the fact that it had me at hello.  But, at thirty dollars it's ridiculously overpriced and not something on which I would spend the butter and egg money.  But I have Christmas money!  I can squander it!  What a fun word!  Squander! Squander!  Squander!

And squander I did!  The first thing I put into my basket at Target yesterday was that overpriced gadget that promised me a bright, shiny, clear, radiant face that would make me irresistible to the opposite sex and the envy of all the women who saw me!  It even came with a sample of their cleanser!  There are not enough exclamation points in the world to express how excited I was!

When I opened up the box I wasn't surprised to see that the box was a lot bigger than it needed to be, I'm sure it's to make me think the gadget was bigger than it actually is.  And no instruction manual!  What the hell?  I mean, I know I can figure this out on my own, but to not include the little pamphlet that suggests the other products I might enjoy and coupons for them?  What the hell?  But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it got left out.

I used it right away and I love the damn thing!  I don't know if it works any better than a washcloth but I don't care.  It feels luxurious and I'm going to enjoy it.

Anyway, I got that little gadget and some new eyeshadows in the cosmetics aisle.  Then I moved on to music and got myself a Journey CD.

Shut up!  I like Journey!  (I saw Journey was touring earlier this year, but Steve Perry isn't signing.  Well, what's the point of that?) I'm going to listen to it in the car at the appropriate high volume and sing along to Open Arms and Don't Stop Believin' and Wheel in the Sky and you know you would too!  Journey is one of those bands that people say "eh" about but when they come on the juke box in the bar where you're hanging out everyone sings along.  It's like the song "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown".  No one but me admits to liking it but everyone sings along.

With my face clean and my throat sore from shouting along with Steve I'm very happy with my holiday spree.  Cheers!

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  Don't get me wrong, you can easily exfoliate your skin without a gadget.  A washcloth, baking soda, sugar or salt will work just fine.  Just don't use the super chunky kosher salt.

No comments: