Friday, August 19, 2011

Because this helps my ego

Every once in a while I like to list all the things I did in a day to give myself evidence that I'm smart and capable.

This time, it's about yesterday.

6 a.m.          Wake up to find the house is at 87 degrees as the air conditioning isn't working.

7 a.m.          Go to the grocery store, save $10 with coupons.

8 a.m.          Contact everyone I know via email/Facebook to find an air conditioning repair person.

9 a.m.          Take Scott to work as his motorcycle quit on him on Tuesday.  It was towed to the shop we use so they could check the fuses but no one's looked at it.

10 a.m.        Set kids up with a tub of water and bathing suits to keep them cool.

10:15 a.m.   Call recommended person who turns out to be great, he'll be by in about 90 minutes.

10:30 a.m.   Call motorcycle repair shop to tell them if they can't look at Scott's bike (they need to check                   the fuses) tomorrow they need to call me so I can take it somewhere else.

11  a.m.       Tell kids they can have as many popsicles as they want today.  They start with red and green, before getting out washable paints so they can make the outside of the house less boring.  I tell them it looks like a Pollock painting.  They frown.

11:15 a.m.    Make appointments for Will's tonsillectomy and pre-op office visit.

Noon            Greatest air conditioning repairman ever arrives and assures me that the repair is a cheap one.  He also says he's going to bring me the filters that are 3 times as efficient and only cost four bucks.

12:30 p.m.     While greatest air conditioning repairman ever is off getting parts I supervise the kids making their own lunches.  Then I force them to drink big glasses of water.  After lunch they have more popsicles before going back out front to paint the trees.

1 p.m.            Greatest air conditioning repairman returns with parts, filters and has cold air coming out the vents inside of fifteen minutes.  He and I chat about EST for a while.

2 p.m.             Tell kids everyone must nap.  No, you can't just rest.

3 p.m.             Much better, pick up living room and do dishes.

4 p.m.             Find that the kids have drawn glasses and facial hair on themselves and we are going to go meet their teachers for this school year tonight, tell them to take a shower.

4:30 p.m        Leave to get Scott, sing Taylor Swift's "Love Story" on the way because it's Zoe's new favorite song.  Will falls asleep.

5 p.m             With Scott in the car, head to school.

5:30 p.m.       Take Will to see his Kindergarten classroom where he has a long talk with his teacher about Legos.  Scott stays to fill out forms while I take Zoe to find out who she'll have this year.   In the cafeteria, 2 of Zoe's friends run up to tell her they are all in the same class and they are even at the same table!  The girls jump up and down and scream a little.

5:40 p.m.       Go say hi to Zoe's teacher, fill out emergency contact forms, marvel at how young Zoe's teacher is and tell Zoe I'm glad she's in a classroom with her friends.

5:45 p.m.        Go look for Scott and Will.  Can't find them.  Bump into Zoe's girl scout leader who asks me about schedules and events, I reply in affirmative to all and remind her to send me reminders.

5:55 p.m.         Find Scott and Will back in Zoe's classroom.  Head off for home.

6  p.m.            Scott packs up for a jam and heads off.  I make chicken nuggets for dinner.  Well, not make, microwave.

6:10 p.m.        Realize I forgot to arrange a sitter for the kids for tomorrow morning so that I can attend orientation.  Oops, send out a bunch of emails because I'm too embarrassed to call on the phone.

6:15 p.m. -
7:30 p.m.        Watch a movie with the kids before bedtime.  Read them a story, sing them a song, make sure their rooms are cool enough.

8:15 p.m.         Lay on the couch and wonder why I'm tired.

9 p.m.            Have a nice bath before turning in early.  My excellent friend and neighbor says the kids can hang out with her in the morning.

9:30 p.m.      Call it a full day and turn out the light.

There, now I have a list to look at the next time I'm feeling like I'm not able to get stuff done.

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  When faced with heat and stress, hydrate hydrate hydrate!

No comments: