Friday, November 9, 2012

How I voted and why.....

I voted on Tuesday.  I could go into my whole diatribe about why it's so important for women to vote based on the incredibly brave actions of the suffragettes who got us the right to cast a ballot, but that's another essay.

Everyone who knows me won't be surprised that I voted for Obama.  I do have the opinion that he's a politician, one who is able to play politics in a remarkable way.  He nominated an Hispanic woman to the supreme court.  Go ahead and side against her, you'll be a misogynist AND a racist.  Go on, I dare you!  I dare you!  Next up, a Jewish woman!  Want to be a misogynist AND and anti-Semite?  Go ahead, I dare you!  I double dog dare you!

The GOP ran Mitt Romeny on the 'I'm not him!' platform.  He was obviously courting the 1%, essentially promising he wouldn't raise their taxes and they could keep as much of their money as possible.  However, what turned me against him, what offended me was when he tossed out the $10,000 bet to Rick Perry.

Mr. Romney showed his true colors.  He flung out that number like it was a dollar.  There was probably a change that between him and his wife they could pull that cash together from his pocket and her pocketbook.

$10,000 is a lot of money.  That kind of cash could keep a family from being foreclosed on.  What about a couple who have only one car?  That would buy them a second car, allowing one of them to expand their job search to include areas not on the bus line.  $10,000 would put double paned windows in my house, dropping my energy bill, giving us more discretionary cash to spend and help boost the economy.

Someone who is able to say 'I bet you $10,000.' the way most people would say 'I bet you a buck!' has no way of relating to the middle class and the issues we're facing.  It makes him even farther away from the 47% he holds in such contempt.


There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what.  All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it — that that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. … These are people who pay no income tax. … [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”


This tells me that he's not going to worry about me.  He doesn't care that we pay our mortgage and our taxes.  That we take care of our children, sending them to the woefully underfunded public schools where their teachers make heroic strides to give my kids the best education they can give them.   We work with the income we have, being as frugal as we can be.  We buy a lot of our clothing second hand.  We do without and budget so we can give our daughter harp lessons, something she loves and is making her a more confident individual. Me and my family who try to be good people, good neighbors, good parents.  We were summarily dismissed to a group of people in Orange County, California.

He dismissed my parents.  My father who dedicated 35 years to teaching continuation high school students math and tutored at the local community college.  My parents who have managed their money very wisely.  My parents who also pay their bills and their taxes, brushed away.

Is Obama a politician?  Oh yeah.  But there was no way I was going to vote to have my country run by a man who stated publicly he's not going to worry about me.

Perhaps this makes me petty, if so, petty I be.

Amanda's beauty tip of the day:  Mayo is still a great deep conditioning treatment.  Work it in, cover it up with plastic wrap.  Cover the plastic wrap with a towel and let it sit for a while.  Then wash it out and use your fave conditioner.  Soft!

No comments: